Sint Antonius van Paduakerk

The Saint Anthony's Church is named after Saint Anthony of Padua and was built on the site where the Musis Sacrum building used to be. After the First World War, the prices for raw materials rose enormously, which led to the tower being considerably lower and the church considerably shorter than originally planned. Alongside the Bonifatiuskerk 8, the Antoniuskerk was the second Roman Catholic parish in the city, necessary for the increased number of believers to attend Sunday Mass. The ground plan of the church has remained unchanged since its construction. The interior consists of yellow brick edges in the walls and decorations with red, yellow and cream-coloured bricks on the pillars. On the left side of the wall, behind the baptismal font, there are bronze representations that decorated the original pulpit. On both sides of the presbytery (at the back of the church), there are two radiating chapels. The stained-glass windows by glazier Fritz Geuer were installed in 1922. The art nouveau altar, designed by August van Os, is one of the few original interior elements to have survived the demolition of the 1960s.

  • Construction year: 1920 - 1921
  • Style of construction: Neo-Gothic
  • Architect: Nicolaas Molenaar
  • Original function: church


Fun for you too?



Maasstraat 11

War Memorial Moerdijk Bridge

Rijksstraatweg 160

Circus Royal

Laan van Europa 500

Bridge keeper's house

Binnenkalkhaven 251

Glass and sculpture studio Renia

Oude Veerweg 3


Steegoversloot 38