Locations

Essenhof Cemetery - Thuredrith Aula

  • Year built: 1938
  • Architect: A.J. Angelo
  • Original function: farewell ceremonies

The Thuredrith Aula dates from 1938 and is part of the then expansion of the municipal cemetery. The design is by the city architect A.J. Argelo, who was inspired by Sybold van Ravesteijn, with whom he had previously worked on the construction of the Kunstmin 57 municipal theater. This kinship is reflected in various stylistic features, including the round stairs leading to the balcony and the graceful lines of the railings and balustrade. The tall cylindrical room forms the original auditorium. It was expanded in 1957 with the fan-shaped addition on the side of the main entrance. In 2003, the old part of the cemetery (including the entrance gate, auditorium and service house on the Dubbeldamseweg) was declared a national monument. After a vacancy of almost twenty years, the building was made suitable again for funeral services and farewell gatherings by the Dordrecht architect Yvonne van der Pluijm in 2009. The exterior has been maintained in its original form. In the interior, the characteristic elements can be found; the terrazzo floor has been fully restored.

Fun for you too?

Bars

Cocktail Bar Blue Gate

Blue Gate Square 9
Monuments

Baptist church

S.M. Hugo van Gijnweg 12
Museums
Meeting venues

The House of Petrol

Van Neurenburgpad 27
Galleries and exhibition spaces
Meeting venues

Art church

Museum Street 65
Dutch
Pancakes/Offers
Dinner
Lunch
Monuments
Cafés

Visser's Poffertjes

Green Market 9
Children's parties
Room hire & Party venues
Bed & Breakfasts
Meeting venues

The Oak Court

Dubbeldamseweg Zuid 362